Tiger recalls Daly drinking 13 Diet Cokes during 2007 PGA Championship
John Daly loves himself a Diet Coke, and that love was on full display during the 2007 PGA Championship.
While reflecting on the 2007 tournament Tuesday, Tiger Woods shared a story about Daly forgoing water in favor of Diet Cokes amid sweltering temperatures at Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
"It was obviously a very different golf course. It was not cold that week," Woods said during a press conference for the 2022 PGA Championship. "I remember playing behind JD the first day, which was awesome. It was, what, 109 (degrees) I think that first day? And I asked JD how many waters he drank out there, he says, 'No, I had 13 Diet Cokes.'"
This was apparently nothing out of the ordinary for Daly, who told Graham Bensinger in 2014 that he never drinks water.
"Rich Beem and some of the guys, they call me camel 'cause I don't drink water. I never drink water on tour," Daly said, adding that he gets "plenty of water" from the ice in his Diet Cokes.
Daly finished T-32 at the 2007 PGA Championship, while Woods won his 13th major title.
- Schauffele wins Travelers Championship after Theegala falters
- Report: Wolff defecting to LIV, plans to play in Portland
- Koepka, DeChambeau, Reed headline LIV Portland field
- LIV Golf heads to Oregon, where local officials aren't happy
- Schauffele takes 1-shot lead over Cantlay into final round at Travelers