South Carolina lands JUCO player of the year Sakima Walker
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina women's basketball coach Dawn Staley is adding junior college player of the year Sakima Walker to her roster.
Walker posted on social media Friday she was joining the Gamecocks. They lost seven seniors, including three-time All-American Aliyah Boston from this season's Final Four team.
The 6-foot-5 Walker spent her first two years in college at Rutgers before transferring to Northwest Florida State College, where she helped the team win the junior college national title this season.
Walker, from Columbus, Ohio, was named the NJCAA Division I women's player of the year. She averaged 16.7 points and 8.2 rebounds in 32 games last season.
Walker is the second transfer added by Staley, including Oregon guard Te-Hina Paopao.
Along with Boston, leading scorer Zia Cooke, defensive stopper Brea Beal and starters Victaria Saxton and Kierra Fletcher have left the program for the WNBA or completed their eligibility.
AP women’s college basketball: https://apnews.com/hub/womens-college-basketball and https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25
- Georgetown women's hoops coach Butts leaves team to battle breast cancer
- Iowa star Caitlin Clark wins Sullivan Award as nation's top collegiate athlete
- Basketball HOF induction roundup: Speeches from 2023 class
- UConn star Bueckers cleared to play after missing previous season due to ACL tear
- NCAA holds 'groundbreaking' 1st girls basketball academy