LSU-Iowa women's title game draws record 9.9M viewers
An average of 9.9 million viewers tuned in to the LSU-Iowa game, making it the most-watched NCAA women's basketball final on record, ESPN announced Monday. Viewership peaked at 12.6 million and was up 103% from last year's championship game.
The LSU-Iowa game broke the previous record of 8.1 million viewers, set in 1992 for a Virginia-Stanford national semifinal on CBS, according to Sports Media Watch. Sunday's matchup also had nearly double the viewership as the Iowa-South Carolina semifinal game on Friday, which was ESPN's most-watched semifinal with 5.5 million viewers.
LSU defeated Iowa 102-85 to capture its first basketball title in school history.
- Georgetown women's hoops coach Butts leaves team to battle breast cancer
- Iowa star Caitlin Clark wins Sullivan Award as nation's top collegiate athlete
- Basketball HOF induction roundup: Speeches from 2023 class
- UConn star Bueckers cleared to play after missing previous season due to ACL tear
- NCAA holds 'groundbreaking' 1st girls basketball academy