Marseille police ban Ajax fans from Europa League match
Fans of Dutch club Ajax have been banned from travelling to troubled Marseille for a Europa League match on November 30, police in the south of France decreed on Thursday.
Marseille are in the spotlight after their fans attacked the Lyon team bus injuring the Lyon coach Fabio Grosso in late September.
Regional police are concerned that up to 2000 Ajax fans, some without tickets or members of ultra groups, are planning to make the trip.
Marseille played out a swashbuckling 3-3 draw with Ajax on September 21 in the Netherlands with skirmishes in Amsterdam after the game.
Marseille are top of Group B with eight points from four games while Ajax sit bottom on two points.
- Europa League draw: Liverpool get Sparta Prague, Roma meet Brighton in last 16
- Conference League draw: Ajax to play Aston Villa in marquee last-16 clash
- Milan and Roma into last 16, bad day for French clubs in Europa League
- Blue cards? Soccer risks losing fans with constant meddling
- Report: Soccer lawmakers delay blue cards after backlash