McDavid jokes about not drawing penalties: 'I guess I just gotta shut up'
Connor McDavid appeared to troll ESPN analyst and former NHL head coach John Tortorella on Thursday.
When asked about not drawing many penalties this season, McDavid said, "I guess I just gotta shut up about this," with a slight smirk on his face.
Last week, Tortorella said McDavid should "just shut up" about the lack of penalties he draws and that he needs to "change his game a bit" in order to win a Stanley Cup. The Edmonton Oilers captain had said in July that he wishes "there was maybe a little more consistency" with the NHL's officiating.
McDavid sits second in NHL scoring behind teammate Leon Draisaitl this season and arguably has the puck on his stick as often as any player in the league. However, he's drawn just five penalties, tied for 84th most.
- Clark Gillies, Islanders legend and Hall of Famer, dies at 67
- 'That's not how you win': Oilers refuse to point fingers amid slump
- Hartman powers Wild past Blackhawks
- Fleury ignoring trade speculation, wants to lead Blackhawks to playoffs
- Kadri's All-Star play, Laine-Dubois deal revisited, and fighting's resurgence