Crosby to miss at least 6 weeks after undergoing wrist surgery
Crosby, 34, will miss the start of training camp and likely time during the regular season with the league's first game slated for Oct. 12 - five weeks away.
"This is not a new injury for Sid. It is something that he has played through for years," general manager Ron Hextall said. "After exhausting all minimally-invasive options and much discussion, it was decided that surgery was in his best interest."
Hextall added the procedure was done on the left wrist - the same one that Crosby had surgery on last August, according to Trib Sports' Seth Rorabaugh.
Crosby appeared in 55 games last campaign, scoring 24 goals and adding 38 assists.
- McDavid nets hat trick, Oilers douse Flames
- Lightning 'praying' Kucherov OK after leaving game with apparent injury
- Report: Sabres unwilling to retain salary in potential Eichel trade
- Watch: Flames' Andersson headbutts Oilers' Yamamoto
- Three-peat*: The AHL team that sat out a season and returned as champs