Canadiens won't name captain in Weber's absence
Weber won't play this season due to ankle, foot, knee, and thumb injuries. His playing career is likely over.
The 36-year-old served as captain for three seasons, taking over following Max Pacioretty's departure in 2018.
The Habs last went without a captain during the 2014-15 campaign after Brian Gionta left as a free agent.
- McDavid nets hat trick, Oilers douse Flames
- Lightning 'praying' Kucherov OK after leaving game with apparent injury
- Report: Sabres unwilling to retain salary in potential Eichel trade
- Watch: Flames' Andersson headbutts Oilers' Yamamoto
- Three-peat*: The AHL team that sat out a season and returned as champs