Canadiens bring in Hoffman on 3-year deal
The deal comes with an annual cap hit of $4.5 million, reports Sportsnet's Chris Johnston.
Hoffman is one of the game's premier snipers, averaging 30 goals per 82 contests since becoming a full-time NHLer in 2014-15. He potted 17 goals in 52 games with the St. Louis Blues this past season.
However, the 31-year-old is also considered a defensive liability, and this deal will take him through his age-34 season.
Hoffman will be a big boost to Montreal's power play, though. The Habs have finished no higher than 18th in the league with the man advantage over the last three seasons, and nearly half of Hoffman's points have come via the power play in that span.
- Crosby hoping Ovechkin reaches Gretzky's goal record: 'It would be awesome'
- Sharks' Kane confident he'll be cleared in gambling investigation
- 'It could've been devastating': Maurice relieved to have stability on defense
- Five years ago, North America's young guns electrified the World Cup
- NHL projects 98% full vaccination rate among players before season