Red Wings sign Marc Staal to 1-year extension
The deal is worth $2 million, according to Sportsnet's Chris Johnston.
The blue-liner collected 10 points while playing all 56 games this past season. Detroit controlled 43.79% of the expected goals while the defensive-minded Staal was on the ice in 2021, according to Natural Stat Trick.
The 2020-21 campaign was the 34-year-old's first with the Red Wings. Detroit acquired him in a trade with the New York Rangers in September.
Staal played his first 13 seasons with New York, which selected him 12th overall in 2005.
- Devils' Blackwood confirms he isn't vaccinated due to 'health concerns'
- Report: NHL investigating Evander Kane for potential COVID-19 protocol violation
- Kadri confident teammates trust him after playoff suspension
- Peel admits hot-mic incident was 'a tremendous error in judgement'
- Ranking the NHL's 8 best lines heading into this season