49ers lose Verrett to ACL injury, reportedly sign Kirkpatrick
Verrett sustained his injury with less than eight minutes remaining in the 49ers' 41-33 win over the Detroit Lions on Sunday.
Shanahan said Verrett is expected to stay with the team in West Virginia as San Francisco prepares for its Week 2 matchup against Philadelphia Eagles.
The ailment is the latest in the line of setbacks for Verrett, who has never dressed for more than 14 games in a single season. The defensive back will likely finish the campaign on injured reserve for the sixth time in his career.
Verrett signed a one-year, $5.5-million deal with the Niners in March, according to Over the Cap.
The California native spent his last three seasons with San Francisco after spending the first five years of his career with the Los Angeles Chargers.
In Kirkpatrick, the 49ers get an experienced starter with 113 career appearances and 13 interceptions under his belt. The 31-year-old played for the Arizona Cardinals in 2020 after an eight-year tenure with the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Seahawks' Carroll: I wouldn't have been here a long time without Wilson
- Jets acquire Flacco from Eagles after injury to Wilson
- Davante Adams placed on COVID-19 list ahead of TNF vs. Cardinals
- Saints grind out MNF win, drop Seahawks to 2-5
- Report: Texans not expected to deal Cooks, Tunsil ahead of trade deadline