The Los Angeles Chargers' hopes of contending for a Super Bowl hit a major speed bump last week when running back Melvin Gordon publically called for a market-value contract extension or a trade away from the AFC West team.
Gordon revealed to ESPN in a sit-down interview this week that he told his teammates beforehand he'd threaten a holdout if he didn't receive a new deal, and said he's gotten widespread support.
"They're all behind me. They all got my back," Gordon said. "They all told me, 'You know what - we don't really speak on contracts - but you just go and do what's best for your family.' And I'm glad I got that support from them."
Gordon also said he's received support from other running backs around the league and has been told to "get what you deserve."
Veterans are slated to report to training camp July 27, so the Chargers don't have long to come to terms with the two-time Pro Bowler if they want him there for start of the summer program.
Gordon is set to earn $5.6 million in 2019 on the fifth-year option of his rookie contract. Last week, his agent, Damarius Bilbo, said his client "felt disrespected" by what they viewed as a low-ball offer from the Chargers.
The 26-year-old rusher is reportedly seeking to be paid on the level of Todd Gurley and Le'Veon Bell, who are the highest-paid running backs in the league with average annual salaries of $14.38 million and $13.13 million, respectively, according to Over The Cap.
However, while Gordon won't accept a discount extension, he reiterated to ESPN his desire to remain in L.A.
"Just because we're going through contract issues right now doesn't mean I want to get traded," he said. "I love being a Charger. I don't want them to feel like I don't want to be there."