Raptors select Scottie Barnes with No. 4 pick
Barnes was the perfect fit for a Seminoles program renowned for recruiting athletic specimens. He played a vital role on both ends of the floor in 2020-21 despite coming off the bench for most of the season.
The five-star recruit averaged 10.3 points, 4.1 assists, and 1.5 steals to earn ACC Sixth Man of the Year honors and an All-ACC third-team selection.
Chicago Bulls rookie Patrick Williams thrived defensively at the pro level after spending one year under Leonard Hamilton at Florida State. Barnes aims to have a similar impact in Year 1 thanks to his former head coach.
"He challenges you defensively to try and be your best ... We have a defensive mindset where we're just willing to be dogs when we get out there on the floor," Barnes told reporters, including theScore, during his NBA draft combine media availability in June.
School: Florida State
College experience: Freshman
Weight: 225 lbs
Max vertical: 39.5 inches
- Capable of facilitating the offense; played point guard for Florida State
- Has size, length, and frame to guard 1-5
- Consistently high motor
- Always crashing the offensive glass; ranked 19th in the ACC in offensive rebound percentage
- Can initiate fast breaks off missed shots and turnovers
- Slow shot release
- Lacks explosiveness to blow by defenders one-on-one
- Minimal impact as a floor-spacer; shot 27.5% from deep last season
- Struggles to create his own shot
- Somewhat turnover-prone; tallied the sixth-most turnovers in the ACC in 2020-21
- Melo 'can't be at peace' without winning title
- Siakam: Last year's struggles linked with not feeling like 'the guy'
- Gilgeous-Alexander: I want to be among the 'greatest to ever play'
- GOAT Sneaker Bracket: Final 4 an all-Jordan affair - Vote now!👇
- Report: Jahlil Okafor signing non-guaranteed deal with Hawks