Rockets select Jalen Green with No. 2 pick
With the No. 2 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, the Houston Rockets have selected G League Ignite guard Jalen Green.
Green was the top-ranked recruit on the ESPN 100 for 2020. The McDonald's All-American declined offers from the likes of Auburn and Memphis to become the first member of the G League's new developmental team.
As a member of the Ignite, Green gained experience in pro-style systems and played against seasoned professionals and recent college graduates over a compressed G League season. The 19-year-old didn't look out of place, averaging 17.9 points on 46.1% shooting - including 36.5% from deep - across 15 appearances.
"The guys that I've been around - the Paul Georges, Kobe Bryants - who were also the targets of the other team's best defensive players and their scouting reports, they figured out a way to get it done, and I'm seeing that same kind of thing out of (Green)," Ignite head coach Brian Shaw told reporters, including theScore, during a media availability in March.
Club: G League Ignite
Weight: 186 lbs
Max vertical: N/A
- Best pure scorer in this year's draft
- Elite shot-creator; shows smooth footwork on step-back jumpers
- Explosive first step and leaping ability
- Has athleticism and strength to finish around the rim
- Pull-up threat from mid-range and long distance
- Lean frame
- Needs to tighten his handle
- Defensive intensity fluctuated from game-to-game
- Has room to improve as a passer but flashed playmaking potential during G League season
- Melo 'can't be at peace' without winning title
- Siakam: Last year's struggles linked with not feeling like 'the guy'
- Gilgeous-Alexander: I want to be among the 'greatest to ever play'
- GOAT Sneaker Bracket: Final 4 an all-Jordan affair - Vote now!👇
- Report: Jahlil Okafor signing non-guaranteed deal with Hawks