Report: Burns to fight Magny at UFC 283 in Brazil
The UFC is finalizing a welterweight fight between Gilbert Burns and Neil Magny for UFC 283 on Jan. 21 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, sources told Brett Okamoto of ESPN.
Burns lost via unanimous decision to Khamzat Chimaev at UFC 273 last April.
The 36-year-old's been chasing a fight with Jorge Masvidal since his loss to Chimaev but said Masvidal turned down fight offers three times, most recently in early November.
Magny called out Burns on Nov. 5 after defeating Daniel Rodriguez by submission.
The 35-year-old Magny holds a 27-9 professional record.
Burns wanted to fight in his home country of Brazil and is hopeful that the contract will be worked out soon, according to Okamoto.
"To be honest, I was looking to fight Belal Muhammad or someone higher ranked, but this guy called me out. You're not going to call me out, go to Brazil and beat me," Burns said.
- Reviewing PFL vs. Bellator: Pros and cons, biggest takeaways
- Ortega submits Rodriguez to avenge 2022 loss
- Royval upsets Moreno by split decision in UFC Mexico City main event
- PFL vs. Bellator results: Ferreira starches Bader 21 seconds into main event
- Boxing champ Shields wins MMA return by split decision