Mayweather: McGregor rematch in works for 2023
Floyd Mayweather Jr. is planning to face UFC star Conor McGregor again next year, he told Charlotte Daly of the Daily Mail.
Mayweather said the nature of the bout is still being discussed.
"We don't know if it's going to be an exhibition or a real fight. But there's been talks of both. I would prefer an exhibition."
However, McGregor poured cold water on a potential Mayweather rematch with an Instragram post Wednesday:
Mayweather and McGregor last fought in 2017 in what ended up being the former's last professional boxing match. Mayweather won via a 10th-round TKO to improve to 50-0-0. He collected $275 million while McGregor received $85 million for the fight.
The 45-year-old Mayweather will face Mikuru Asakura on Sept. 25 in Japan, in what'll be his fourth exhibition boxing fight since retiring. He'll then fight YouTuber Deji in another exhibition bout Nov. 13 in Dubai.
McGregor's last fight was a defeat to Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 on July 10, 2021.
- USADA: McGregor likely requires 6 months in testing pool before return
- Pacheco stuns undefeated Harrison to take PFL title, $1M prize
- Pereira fought Adesanya with torn ligaments in finger
- Prochazka vacates title; Blachowicz to fight Ankalaev for gold at UFC 282
- Report: Burns to fight Magny at UFC 283 in Brazil