Ngannou done with UFC after Gane fight barring better contract

Jeff Bottari / UFC / Getty

UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou won't fight again under the terms of his existing contract if he retains his belt against Ciryl Gane on Jan. 22.

Ngannou is set to complete his eight-fight deal at UFC 270. The knockout artist said UFC contracts add three fights or one year to any reigning champion's deal when it first expires, but added he would sit out until he becomes a free agent.

"I will not fight for $500,000, $600,000 anymore," he told ESPN's Brett Okamoto. "It's over. I took this fight for personal reasons and because I want to make sure that regardless of (whether) it's unfair, (whether) I have been wrongly treated, I can make my case of saying I have completed the eight fights."

Ngannou and the UFC have been at odds for months amid sour contract negotiations. The 35-year-old became one of the top stars in the promotion in March 2021 when he knocked out Stipe Miocic to win the title.

"The Predator" will defend his belt for the first time against Gane in the main event of UFC 270. The UFC created an interim title last year when Ngannou requested more time to get ready for his inaugural defense, much to his dismay.

Ngannou reiterated any new contract he signs must allow him to compete in a boxing ring while he continues his career inside the cage.

Comments
Ngannou done with UFC after Gane fight barring better contract
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!

Daily Newsletter

Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox