Report: Barboza, Mitchell agree to March 5 bout
Edson Barboza and Bryce Mitchell verbally agreed to meet in a featherweight fight at a UFC event on March 5, sources told MMA Junkie's Mike Bohn and Farah Hannoun on Thursday.
Barboza suffered a knockout loss to rising contender Giga Chikadze in August, snapping a two-fight winning streak. The 35-year-old Brazilian striker used to compete in the lightweight division, but he dropped to 145 pounds last year and has gone 2-2 since then.
Mitchell, 27, hasn't fought since a decision victory over Andre Fili in October 2020. A submission specialist and one of the top prospects at featherweight, Mitchell is 5-0 in the Octagon and 14-0 as a pro.
The promotion hasn't announced a main event or location for its March 5 show.
- UFC 278 weigh-in results: Usman, Edwards cleared for title rematch
- Edwards aiming to 'humble' Usman, win title at UFC 278
- Esparza to defend title vs. Zhang at UFC 281
- UFC 278 predictions: Will it be another rematch win for Usman vs. Edwards?
- Costa unsure of future after UFC 278 as 'outdated' contract expires