Mariners' Rodriguez exits in 1st inning vs. Athletics with back tightness
The 21-year-old doubled in his first at-bat to lead off the game, but he departed the field with a trainer in the bottom half of the inning.
Rodriguez was replaced in the lineup by Sam Haggerty, who shifted to left field. Jarred Kelenic moved from left to center.
Back tightness has hampered Rodriguez recently, causing him to miss three straight games. Mariners manager Scott Servais said the situation is "concerning."
The American League Rookie of the Year front-runner entered Thursday's contest hitting .279/.341/.499 with 27 home runs, 73 RBIs, and 25 steals.
- Judge, stuck at 60, homerless for 6th straight, Jays beat Yankees in 10th
- Elder dominates Nats, 1st Braves rookie to throw shutout since 1990
- Orioles bash Red Sox, slice AL wild-card deficit
- Mariners believe rotation set for future after Castillo deal
- Red Sox manager Cora disappointed with 2022: 'We just didn't perform'