Ortiz not worried about HOF announcement: 'I have too much going on'
Retired Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz would be honored to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame his first time on the ballot but recently admitted he's isn't worrying about it too much.
"I have too much going on in my life to think about it," Ortiz told The Boston Globe's Pete Abraham on Tuesday. "Back home, everybody is talking about it. We'll see. I hope so; it would be a great honor for me."
The 46-year-old has appeared on 143 of 161 submitted ballots that have been revealed so far, according to Ryan Thibodaux's 2022 Hall of Fame Ballot Tracker. That amounts to 83.6%, putting "Big Papi" over the 75% required for induction. There were just less than 400 ballots sent out to voters, according to Abraham.
"My boys tell me about that. They follow it," Ortiz said. "But there's nothing I can do now. I haven't played for five years."
Ortiz retired following the 2016 season with a career .286/.380/.552 slash line, 541 home runs, and 1,768 RBIs. He was also a 10-time All-Star and three-time World Series champion.