Cano says Mets haven't asked him to play 1st base
Stephen Brashear / Getty Images Sport / Getty

Robinson Cano told reporters on Sunday that the New York Mets have not yet approached him about playing first base in 2019, according to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com.

The Mets added both Cano and Jed Lowrie this winter, which caused some to believe Cano would be shifted to first. However, Cano said he's playing only at the keystone for now and hopes his health allows him to take that position every day.

That would seem to create a vacancy at first base for prospect Peter Alonso. Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen flew to Scottsdale, Ariz., early in his time in the team's front office to meet with the 24-year-old prospect, who was playing in Arizona Fall League. After reaching Triple-A last year, Alonso posted a .260/.355/.585 slash line with 21 home runs in 67 games with the Las Vegas 51s.

If Cano is locked in at second base, shortstop and third base remain available to accommodate Lowrie, Amed Rosario, Todd Frazier, and Jeff McNeil. However, Frazier can shift to first and McNeil is expected to get time in the outfield this spring after a breakout rookie season at second.

Cano, 36, moved to the Mets from the Mariners along with closer Edwin Diaz in a blockbuster deal that sent top prospect Jarred Kelenic to Seattle.

The veteran second baseman authored a .303/.374/.471 slash line with 10 homers in 80 games. He was suspended for 80 contests after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

The Mets' first spring training game is scheduled for Saturday against the Atlanta Braves.

Comments
Cano says Mets haven't asked him to play 1st base
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox