Report: Cueto will not opt out of contract with Giants
Johnny Cueto's staying in San Francisco.
Cueto has a guaranteed $84 million remaining on his current deal, which has him signed through 2021, and after a disappointing injury-shortened season in the Bay, he won't be hitting the open market.
After a successful first season in San Francisco, Cueto pitched to a 4.52 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in 147 1/3 innings this past season. He struggled with his control, walking 53 batters, and was victimized by the home run, allowing 1.34 per nine innings, the second-highest mark of his career.
- Riley lifts Braves past Dodgers in Game 1 of NLCS
- Red Sox blast 2 grand slams in rout of Astros, draw even in ALCS
- Astros' Garcia removed in 2nd inning of Game 2 with knee injury
- Are the Giants a one-hit wonder or a sustainable success story?
- Report: Mets unlikely to hire Brewers' Stearns, Athletics' Beane