Look: Amrabat posts cryptic message amid reported Barcelona bid
Sofyan Amrabat has become the latest player to spice up transfer deadline day with a cryptic social media post.
Fiorentina reportedly rejected a lucrative package from Barcelona for the Moroccan midfielder ahead of Tuesday's deadline. The cash-strapped Catalan club offered €3 million for an initial loan, and wanted to include a purchase option for €37 million, reports transfer insider Fabrizio Romano.
That rebuttal prompted Amrabat to skip training, according to Romano, and share the following message on Instagram: "Go for it now. The future is promised to no one."
Amrabat, 26, was one of the breakout stars at the World Cup, playing a monumental role in Morocco's historic run to the semifinals. He has been at the center of transfer rumors ever since.
Fiorentina maintained throughout the January window that the tenacious midfielder wouldn't be sold. So it proved.
Barcelona were looking to bolster their midfield in an effort to keep hold of top spot in La Liga. They would have needed to get creative to sign Amrabat - or any new players, for that matter. La Liga has told the club that it has a "small amount" of salary cap space in order to register players, according to ESPN.
- Norris Trophy Rankings: It's a 2-horse race between Makar, Hughes
- Report: Steelers' Harris expected to play on TNF despite knee injury
- Report: Dolphins, Austin Jackson ink 3-year, $36M extension
- Hyman scores 3 as Oilers smash Hurricanes for 5th straight win
- Report: Candelario agrees to 3-year, $45M deal with Reds