Three Lions, Lionesses to play Australian counterparts in April
Sydney, Feb 21, 2023 (AFP) - Australia's men and women teams will play their English counterparts in a double-header in London this year, the two countries said on Tuesday.
The Matildas will face England's Lionesses on April 11 at the home of Premier League Brentford.
It will serve as crucial preparation for the Women's World Cup, which Australia will co-host with New Zealand in July and August.
On October 13, the men's sides will meet in another friendly, at Wembley -- the first time Australia have played at the historic stadium.
"Australian football has always enjoyed a strong bond with football in the United Kingdom," said Football Australia chief executive James Johnson.
"Historically, we had a prominent presence of male players throughout the English Premier League and the English Championship.
"This was followed by a very lean period but today, we have seen a resurgence of Australian footballers, both men and women, plying their trade in leagues across the United Kingdom."
- South Korean player selected for national team despite being detained in China
- Muller left out of Germany's squad for summer friendlies; Gundogan returns
- USMNT scores late to draw with Mexico in friendly
- Medical team to stand trial for role in Maradona's death
- Dest released by AC Milan for USMNT exhibition vs. Mexico