Bottas secures pole for Saturday sprint qualifying at Monza
Valterri Bottas will start Saturday's sprint race at Monza from pole position after Friday's qualifying for the Italian Grand Prix.
|3||Max Verstappen||Red Bull||+0.411|
|9||Sergio Perez||Red Bull||+1.056|
|10||Antonio Giovinazzi||Alfa Romeo||+1.253|
|11||Sebastian Vettel||Aston Martin||Q2|
|12||Lance Stroll||Aston Martin||Q2|
|19||Robert Kubica||Alfa Romeo||Q1|
Despite placing first, Bottas will start at the back of the grid for Sunday's race due to engine changes regardless of how he places on Saturday from pole.
This marks Bottas' first race since learning that he'll lose his Mercedes seat to Williams' George Russell. The Finn will race for Alfa Romeo next year.
Silver Arrows teammate Lewis Hamilton secured a front-row lockout for Mercedes, going second fastest, while championship leader Max Verstappen put up the third-fastest lap.
This is the second time Formula 1 has run the sprint qualifying system after its debut at Silverstone earlier this season. Saturday's sprint race decides the entire grid for Sunday's race and also awards points to the top three drivers.
- Insight: F1 aims for near-normality with 2022 schedule
- ‘It’s a 100-race project’ – CEO Laurent Rossi outlines Alpine’s roadmap to reach the summit of F1 | Formula 1®
- Ricciardo set for NASCAR run at US Grand Prix
- 23 Grands Prix, a new venue, and the return of some classics – 5 key takeaways from the 2022 calendar reveal | Formula 1®
- Perez: Verstappen has been ‘driver of the season’ so far