Paul, McDonald on U.S. Davis Cup team; Nainkin interim captain
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) — Australian Open semifinalist Tommy Paul and the player who eliminated Rafael Nadal at Melbourne Park, Mackenzie McDonald, are among the players picked by interim captain David Nainkin for the U.S. Davis Cup team's matches at Uzbekistan next week.
Nainkin's appointment was announced Friday, three weeks after Mardy Fish's tenure as captain ended.
Nainkin has been with the U.S. Tennis Association since 2004. He will be assisted against Uzbekistan by Dean Goldfine, who coached 20-year-old Ben Shelton during his quarterfinal run at the Australian Open.
Paul beat Shelton in that round before losing to Novak Djokovic on Friday night.
The other members of the U.S. roster are Denis Kudla, Rajeev Ram and Austin Krajicek. Kudla replaces Jenson Brooksby on the team.
The matches will be played on indoor hard courts on Feb. 3-4.
AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Alcaraz regains No. 1 rank after winning Indian Wells title
- Nadal out of top 10 for 1st time in 18 years
- US Open 'very hopeful' unvaccinated Djokovic can enter country and play
- Nadal aiming to make comeback from hip injury at Monte Carlo
- Doubles star Bob Bryan succeeds Fish as U.S. captain for Davis Cup