Alcaraz loses Hamburg thriller; 1st tour title for Musetti
HAMBURG, Germany (AP) — Lorenzo Musetti needed six match points Sunday to upset top-seeded Carlos Alcaraz 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-4 in the final of the Hamburg European Open.
The 20-year-old Italian claimed his first tour-level title in 2 hours, 47 minutes.
Alcaraz was aiming to improve his 5-0 record in finals and was also chasing his fifth title this year alone after wins in Madrid, Barcelona, Miami and Rio de Janeiro.
The 19-year-old Spaniard fought back from 5-3 down in the second set and saved five match points to take the Hamburg final to a third set.
But Musetti didn’t fold and the 62nd-ranked player from Carrara, Italy, finally took his chance at the sixth time of asking.
American Bernarda Pera beat top-seeded Anett Kontaveit to win the women’s final on Saturday.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Tiafoe beats Tsitsipas to give Team World 1st Laver Cup win
- Tennis' All-Star Game? Federer's Laver Cup can become so much more
- Federer, Nadal, Djokovic set new bar for next generations
- Sonego beats Bublik at Moselle Open to win his 1st title of 2022
- Retired Federer offers advice to Laver Cup sub Berrettini